Cardiology in Horses
Echocardiography in horses
In Cardiology in Horses is a standard technique useful and very simple, not invasive des on the chest wall by a ecógrafopara produce images on two-dimensional slices heart. Currently in cardiology in horse, the mode is the most widely used 2D allows us to obtain real-time images and two-dimensional (planar cuts of the heart in different axes). Furthermore, it can be complemented with other techniques such as Doppler.
DOPPLER. Based on the frequency difference between the transmitted and reflected ultrasound can calculate the speed and direction of the moving object (Doppler effect). This allows us to study the blood flow within the heart. There are various types of Doppler pulsed, multiple gates and color flow. We use it to locate possible reflux of blood.
The indications for echocardiography is a diagnostic technique for noninvasive image and provides information on large number of parameters is used to analyze the shape, size and function of the heart valves, pericardium or coronary arteries and veins .
Also used to detect alterations in the walls, as well as for the form and function of the heart valves.
Basically the use of ultrasound in the heart, has the following clinical applications:
- Congenital heart disease
- pericardial effusion
- Ischemic heart disease
- Aorta disorder.
Electrocardiogram in horses
The electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) in cardiology in horses is a test that records the electrical activity of the heart is a graphic representation of cardiac contraction, through electrodes placed on the skin of the horse captured, amplified and recorded on graph paper activity power of the heart and thus detect possible cardiac disorders.
In equine sports medicine is useful:
• Study the regularity of the heartbeat.
• Know the effect that certain drugs have on the rate of transmission of the pulse or cardiac contraction in sport horses.
• Know the size of the cameras or the variation in the thickness of the walls.
• Detect possible heart damage. • Use to diagnose myocardial injury.
• Distinguish a small infarction • Detect arrhythmias.
• Other disturbances of the electrical activity of the heart. • Assess causes of heart failure.
• An ECG is useful for diagnosing heart disease leading to poor drilling.
Holter electrocardiogram in horses
The Holter electrocardiogram in horses or Holter monitor in horses is a machine that records and stores the electrical activity of the heart of the horse is able to record your heart rate continuously over 24 hours. Currently widely used in cardiology in horse
The placement and use of Holter is painless is very easy to use veterinary horse electrodes that are kind of small conductive patches on the chest area of the horse standing. The electrodes are connected to a recording monitor, which works by energy from batteries.
The Holter is attached to the strap of the frame without causing any hassle in the development of the normal life of the horse.
While using the Holter monitor, it will register the cardiac electrical activity and a person should keep a diary of the activities of the horse during the review period
To what serves us a Holter electrocardiogram in equine sports medicine?
Permite evaluar el funcionamiento del corazón de forma continuada.
- It allows to evaluate heart function continuously.
- Diagnose different types of arrhythmias.
- For the study of myocardial ischemia and extrasystoles
- Check if certain symptoms (dizziness, collapse, fatigue) are caused by heart disease.
- The recorded parameters are basically; heart rate, and ST segment count and classification of disease.
- Evaluate drug therapy to treat heart conditions.